Thursday, June 7, 2007

Let's start

  1. Reading other people's blogs seems almost voyeuristic. I am impressed with the thought and creativity put into the blogs I've read so far. I'm not sure where people find the time! I run from one activity to the next and by the time I settle in for the night, the last thing I want to do is type. I really would like a portable, voice-activated keyboard.
  2. I reviewed the 7 1/2 Habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learners. Because of bandwidth issues here in the branch I read the screen and advanced through quickly. Fortunately, I had already done this tutorial. On January 9, Branch Managers participated in a teleconference introducing us to this model. I was delighted that the tutorial encouraged us to "make play our New Year's resolution." Of course, that is the 1/2 Habit that makes everything else approachable and doable. Attitude is everything. This is the easiest and hardest to accomplish. Fish! Philosophy encourages us to choose our attitude - to decide to bring more enthusiasm to work, to consider the magnificent versus the ordinary. I think we could use a plan for lifting ourselves out of the dumps when schedules are tight and computers are slow, though a cold, wet fish seems somehow inappropriate in our setting, we need that sense of play. I liked the idea of a learning contract. This isn't too much different from our PERS goals - establishing the goal, identifying obstacles, and assembling the toolbox to achieve the goal seem obvious but when you multitask you sometimes forget to check in and regroup. You also forget to pat yourself on your back.
  3. Setting up my blog was a little confusing. I wanted to be clever and pithy but found it hard to think while filling out the blanks. I discovered that I have three blogs! One of them was done last year and I never added to it after I set it up.

No comments: