Friday, August 17, 2007

Web 2.0 Awards

I discovered this nifty section of Merlin a while back and blogged about it. For the purposes of this assignment I explored the three sites listed for Music. I want to create a CD for my sister who will turn 50 in September and I am looking for songs that address growing older. I have already Googled this. I love the way I can type in some long, drawn-out query and Google almost always comes through with very satisfying results. I was directed to several wonderful collections of songs that were perfect.

I was not so impressed with the three music websites included here. I did not like the search strategies or the extremely limited selection of fairly mainstream artists. www.pandora.com was the most satisfying of the three, which is probably why they won the award. I guess I expected too much. All three sites allowed one to search by artist, song and keyword. I was just not satisfied with the result.

Patrons in the library could use these sites to try to jog their brains when trying to think of an artist or song. Pandora Radio will play while you work on another project, providing useful background music - as long as one wears headphones in the library.

No comments: