Thursday, July 26, 2007

It's week six somewhere...

I'm feeling a little pressed for time and can't say that I enjoyed my experiences with these week 6 topics. I ran into trouble several times and actually had to call a 2.0 tech guru for assistance. (She was very helpful and encouraging).

I explored Del.icio.us and was non-plussed by it. I can appreciate the usefulness of this social networking site but yet it seemed too serious yet superficial. Why not just join one of the Facebook groups like People known only by their last names or the Sailor group. Facebook puts impressive spin right up front by referring to themselves as an utility. OOOh The Smith College Sophian had a great article that listed ten popular Facebook groups:

10. "SMITH COLLEGE TEAM AWESOME!!!"
9. "Being a Yankee Fan Just Because they Win a Lot Is Wrong"
8. "Nerdy Boys Melt My Butter"
7. "Books are for Bad asses"
6. "Caution! People On Facebook May appear Hotter Than they actually are"
5. "Ever Have Strong or Confusing Feelings about Guacamole? Me Too."
4. "I Can Fit a Cheez-it In My Belly Button"
3. "Confederation of Hallway Jousters"
2. "I've Got 99 Problems and the Long Walk From the Quad Is 73 of them"
1. "I Was Invited To This Group But Have No Idea What it Is, But Yet I Still Clicked Confirm."

While I haven't signed up for any Facebook groups yet (though I'm leaning toward Books are for Bad asses ), I have established a Del.icio.us account. Unfortunately, I was unable to create the link on my toolbar even though we use Foxfire at home and that is supposed to be easier.

I read an article that suggested that these social networking sites provide an avenue for "Shameless self promotion."

Feeling linear, I next investigated Technorati and attempted to get an account. I got bogged down on the registration because of the need for a unique password. With some help from the above mentioned Tech Guru I managed to create the account. I then claimed my blog and I am thinking hard about what I want on my Watchlist.

Now to answer the age old question, What does Library 2.0 mean to me. I viewed the You tube video Web 2.0 The Machine is Us/ing Us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLlGopyXT_g
I found this video very thought provoking. Two messages jumped out out me: Who will organize this data? You will. and Every time we forge a link, we teach.
Two articles I enjoyed were Web 2.0 Where will it take libraries? To a Temporary place in time and Away from the icebergs. I'm on with the Library 4.0 vision of the neo library - especially the single malt. In Icebergs, I was struck (ha) by the point made concerning user education and eliminating barriers.

No comments: